Thursday 12 February 2015

What my body has understood - Practice journal

This morning I thought that this could be a good time to document my sporadic practice journal from my Ashtanga practice over the years.  I often get the sense that my body is understanding something that my over-stressed brain has not figured out.  They are usually blindingly common-sense kind of things.

Today and recently:

Body: Use this practice to be in the present.  You are not your distractions or your flashbacks of humiliating moments in your life.  You are the present, here, on the mat.

Body: All you need to do today is stand on the ground.

Some old ones:

Body: Don't practice yoga to lose weight.
Me: But that's why I started.  Ashtanga is yoga+workout.
Body:  If you want to lose weight go for a run.  Your practice will give you other things.
Me: Oh.

Body: All you need to do is breathe.  All you need to think about is breathing.
Me: This is hard!

Body: Breathing just happens whether you think about it or not.  Just let it happen and listen to its rhythm.

Body: Remember ten years ago, one of your yoga teachers said "Soft mind, soft body".

Body: Moving your body will train your mind. (Just like your teacher has said.)  This isn't about what series or pose you are doing, whether you achieve the bind.  This is about coming back to the same place every day.

Body: I will always be here with you.

No comments: